As a faculty administrator, can I still enjoy my Teacher’s Leave?

As a general rule, faculty administrator shall be placed under the Cumulative Leave status, hence, you may no longer enjoy the Teacher’s Leave within the period of your administrative assignment. However, at your option, you may request to be placed under the Teacher’s Leave status in lieu of the Cumulative Leave status subject to the approval of the Chancellor.

What is meant by the Cumulative Leave status?

Cumulative Leave status refers to the condition granted by the Civil Service Commission for government employee to be entitled to earn 15 days vacation leave credits and 15 days sick leave credits annually which he/she may use to file and enjoy a leave of absence with full pay. Vacation and sick leave credits earned will accumulate if not used/enjoyed and shall be converted into its money value upon retirement or voluntary separation of the employee (this is known as Terminal Leave). In the University, administrative employees, REPS and faculty administrators are placed under Cumulative Leave status.

Are there any additional leave privileges I can enjoy as a faculty administrator?

A faculty administrator may be granted the following additional leave privileges subject to the prescribed guidelines:

• Academic Leave – 10 Days per year
• Rest and Reenergizing Leave – 5 days per year

How can I avail of the Academic Leave?

.: If you are a faculty administrator with an administrative load of nine (9) to twelve (12) units, you may avail of the Academic Leave of ten (10) working days per year of administrative assignment. It is not cumulative and shall be forfeited if not taken within the year.

How can I avail of the Rest and Reenergizing Leave?

The UP System issues memorandum on a yearly basis specifying the period within which faculty
administrators may avail of the five (5) days Rest and Reenergizing Leave. Like the Academic Leave, it is
not cumulative and shall be forfeited if not taken within the year.

How will I appraise the performance of my staff/subordinates?

The faculty administrator is the head of his/her own office and is responsible for the
performance of the staff/subordinates. It is therefore necessary that you are knowledgeable on UP-SPMS
(University of the Philippines-Strategic Performance Management System) which is the performance
instrument guide and tool used by the University in assessing the performance of administrative staff.
Please visit the HRDO website for the complete guidelines on SPMS.

On the other hand, REPS performance are being evaluated using the REPS Performance Instrument
Tool. Please request the HRDO for the guidelines and orientation regarding this.

How will I manage the attendance and absences of my staff?

Attendance of staff are critical in the attainment of goals and objectives of the office. Approval of
vacation and some other types of leave is contingent upon the needs of the service, hence, action on the leave application of staff is discretionary on the part of faculty administrator/head. As such, please be guided by the Omnibus Rules on Leave (CSC MC no. 41, s. 1998, with amendments) on the rules and policies of leave administration.

Aside from the additional leave privileges, what are the other entitlements of faculty administrators?

Faculty administrators may also be entitled to the following:

a. Representation Allowance (RA)
b. Transportation Allowance (TA)
c. Honorarium
d. Administrative Load Credit (ALC)

Please note that the amount of RATA, honorarium and the number of ALC vary per position.
Some positions are given the option to use government-owned vehicle. Opted as such, they are no longer
entitled to Transportation allowance.

What are some of my administrative duties as faculty administrator?

.: The faculty administrator is responsible for the overall management of the office which include the

a. Managing staff (specially in the areas of performance, attendance, discipline, personnel welfare, etc.)
b. Setting goals and objectives of the office which should be aligned to the overall goal of the University.
c. Monitoring work outputs and service delivery.
d. Active Participation to meetings and activities as required by the administration.

What is the term of office of a faculty administrator?

Generally, a faculty administrator has a term of three (3) years without prejudice to a
reappointment for another term (may serve for 2 terms). However, an additional term (3rd term) shall be
allowed only in highly exceptional cases. Please refer to UPDiliman Faculty Manual for a more detailed
guidelines on appointment and terms of office of faculty administrators.

Can a temporary faculty member be appointed as faculty administrator?

Memorandum No. FN 02-21 specifically prescribed that only tenured faculty members shall be
appointed to regular academic administrative positions in the University. However, appointment of a
non-tenured faculty may be made subject to approved waiver from the UP President. In such case, the
effective date of his/her additional assignment shall be coextensive with the period of his/her regular
faculty appointment.

Does my nonsubmission of IPCR/final rating affect my compensation?

I cannot submit my IPCR on the specified deadline/date, may I follow-up on submitting it?

Yes you may. Submit a letter to the HRDO stating the reason for the late submission of the IPCR and requesting for an extension to the deadline.

I want to appeal my final IPCR rating which was Below satisfactory, where should I file and what should I do?

You may file an appeal to the Performance Management Team bearing sufficient documents proving that the final IPCR rating given was unjustifiable.

When would be the deadline for setting the targets for IPCR and OPCR?

Am I allowed to give Unsatisfactory/Below Satisfactory rating?

Yes, given that the Supervisor/Head of Unit provided Mentoring and Coaching to the employee concerned in a span of two (2) to six (6) months before finalizing the rating (CSC MC no. 6 (Guidelines in the Establishment and Implementation of Agency Strategic Performance Management System (SPMS)), all of which should have a documentation. Failure to present documentation as basis for the final rating will allow the employee concerned to appeal his/her final rating and will be deliberated by the Perfomance Management Team.

The new company I am an employee at wants to verify my employment in UP Manila, what are the requirements needed from my end?

You should notify the HRDO first for the Employee Verification request of the company. Please make sure that you provided an Authorization letter to your employer for us to act on the request.

My company wants to phone in for my employment verification

Employee verification thru voice call/telephone call are not entertained unless there was a notification from the former UPM employee to be verified prior the request.

The company wants to verify my employment in person, what are the things to keep in mind?

The staff who will conduct the Employee Verification in person should have:
1. Valid ID for verification
2. Authorization letter from the former UPM employee (written also are: (1) name of the person who will conduct the verification and from what company he/she from, (2) ID to be presented by the staff/person who will request the Employee Verification).

After confirmation, we will initiate and act on the request.

How can I request for a copy of my Service Record?

1. an active UPM employee, kindly state the purpose of the request via UIS.
2. to use it for personal business, pay P10 to the Cash office and secure a receipt to present to the HRDO or to be uploaded via UIS.
3. to use it on an official travel, fill up on the UIS and upload the Letter of Invitation, Travel authority and Recommendation letter approved by the Dean.
4. to use it on bank transactions, fill up the UIS and upload the bank receipt via UIS.

I need a copy of my Service Record for submission on GSIS, am I allowed to submit an electronic copy (e-copy) of it?

Unfortunately, GSIS requires a wet signature thus an e-copy submission of Service Record is not allowed.

May I request an electronic copy (e-copy) of my Service Record to submit to other government agencies?

Yes. We will facilitate the Service record request once you filled up your purpose of the request thru UIS. HRDO will send the e-copy via e-mail. (include video tutorial link for SR request)

What is “Deep Selection” process?

It is the process of selecting a candidate for appointment who is not next in rank but who possesses superior qualifications and competence compared to the next-in-rank/ other candidate.

What are first level positions?

First level positions refer to clerical, trades, crafts and custodial service positions which involve non-professional or sub-professional work in a non-supervisory and supervisory capacity requiring less than four years of collegiate studies. In most cases, it requires a Civil Service Sub-professional eligibility.

What are second level positions?

Second level positions refer to professional, technical and scientific positions which involve professional, technical or scientific work in a non-supervisory or supervisory capacity requiring at least four years of collegiate work up to Division Chief level. It requires a Civil Service Professional eligibility or equivalent such as Professional Board Licenses.

What is job rotation?

It is the sequential or reciprocal movement of an employee from one office to another or from one division to another within the same agency as a means of developing and enhancing the potentials of people in the organization by exposing them to the other work functions of the agency. The duration of the job rotation shall be determined by the head of agency but shall not exceed twelve (12) months.

What is Merit Selection Plan (MSP)?

The MSP is a system used by the University to provide basis for objective selection of candidates for promotion and other personnel actions. It provides a common instrument for the assessment of the relative qualification of candidates to guarantee that merit and fitness principle is observed at its best in the selection process.

Is a job order allowed to supervise a regular employee?

CSC MC No. 26, s. 1997 (Prohibiting the Designation of Consultants, Contractuals and Non-Career Employees to Positions Exercising Control and Supervision over Regular and Career Personnel). Likewise, in CSC Resolution No. 97-3970 dated October 5, 1997, the Commission reiterates , adopts, and promulgates the policy of prohibiting the designation of consultants, contractuals and non-career employees as officer-in-charge, executive directors or supervisors who exercise control or supervision over regular and career personnel in the hiring Agency. Such prohibition is reiterated again in Section 15, Rule XIII (Prohibitions) of CSC MC No. 40, s. 1998 (Revised Omnibus Rules on Appointment and Other Personnel Actions).

add Memorandum no. / issued November 2021

Does an Officer-in-Charge has the power to appoint an employee?

A designated Officer-in-Charge is considered merely as a caretaker of the office while the regular incumbent is on leave of absence. An OIC does not possess the power to appoint, and if he does, such act is null and void. An Officer-in-Charge does not exercise powers involving discretion of the regular incumbent. The rights and privileges of the latter do not normally descend upon the former unless specifically indicated or stated in the designation. (add memo)

Can one gets the promotion even if he is not the next-in-rank?

Yes. Based on the principle of merit and fitness, the appointing authority may promote an employee even if he is not the next-in-rank provided his appointment went through the “Deep Selection” process.

Who can file a protest to an appointment?

A next-in-rank employee who is competent and qualified and who feels aggrieved by the promotion or appointment of another, may file his protest within fifteen (15) days from the notice of issuance of the appointment.

My appointment was proposed as permanent. Does it mean I will not go through probationary period?

No. All original appointments of qualified persons to positions in the career service shall be proposed as permanent. However, it is understood that the first six (6) months of service will be probationary in nature, during which time he shall undergo a thorough character investigation.

Can a person be appointed to Division chief positions even without a Master’s Degree ?

Yes, on the basis of the following:

1. If the duties of the Division chief position involves practice of profession regulated by bar/board laws in which case, only the corresponding Professional Board License shall be required. Ex. Chief Accountant, Architect V, etc.

2. Through the CSC- Certification Program or CPro. It is an alternative mode in satisfying the educational requirement for division chief and executive/managerial positions.

Can a contractual or casual employee be designated to position exercising control or supervision over regular and career personnel?

No. contractual and casual employees belong to non-career positions. As such, they cannot exercise control or supervision over employees under career positions.

Can the deficiency in education requirement be substituted by experience, and vice versa?

No. Substitution shall not be allowed for deficiencies in education and experience requirement of the position.

What will happen if the appointee does not assume office although he already received his approved appointment?

If the appointee does not assume office within thirty (30) calendar days from receipt of the approved appointment, the same may be cancelled by the appointing authority and reported to the Civil Service Commission for record purposes.

Is there a non-disciplinary demotion?

Yes. Appointment involving demotion which is not disciplinary in nature shall be submitted to the Civil Service Commission, accompanied by the following:

a. Certification of the agency head that the demotion is not the result of an administrative case;
b. Written consent by the employee that he interposes no objection to his demotion.

What determines the effectivity date of an appointment?

The date of signing by the appointing authority determines the effectivity date of an appointment. It may be made effective on or after the date of signing but not earlier.

Are all personnel movement requires issuance of appointment?

No. The following personnel movements do not require issuance of an appointment but nevertheless require an office order by duly authorized official:

a. Reassignment
b. Detail
c. Job rotation

Can a person who has been dismissed and/or perpetually excluded/disqualified from the government service be reemployed?

Yes, if an executive clemency has been granted.

Can an employee who is on scholarship grants, special detail or on secondment be considered for promotion?

Yes. For purposes of promotion the performance rating of the employee for the last two rating periods prior to scholarship, special detail or secondment shall be used as the basis for promotion. The effectivity date of such promotion shall not be earlier that the official report for duty of the employee.

When can a newly hired be eligible for promotion?

After he has served for two semesters in order to satisfy the requirement of performance ratings (at least Very Satisfactory) for the last two rating periods.
This will also apply to those newly promoted employees.

Is there a CSC Memorandum or circular or any other law that prohibits appointing a person on a date that falls on a Sunday or Saturday?

Under section 17, Rule VI of the Omnibus Rules on Appointment and Other Human Resource Actions, the date of appointment shall not fall on a Saturday, Sunday or Holiday, except in cases where the date of issuance is specifically provided in a special law.

What if the renewal of appointment falls on a weekend? Will the appointment expire on Friday?

You can still indicate the date that falls on Saturday or Sunday if the last day of your appointment falls on either Friday or Saturday.

Clarification on section 95 of ORAOHRA “an employee should have obtained at least Very Satisfactory performance rating for one year in the present performance before being considered for promotion”. In our office, we adapt semestral rating, so we have 2

It should be the last two (2) Very Satisfactory (VS) Performance Ratings prior to the promotion. Hence, if he/she has garnered one (1) Satisfactory rating, he/she cannot be promoted.

What would happen to the newly promoted personnel that does not assume the workload given according to his present position? Under Section 11 (b) of 2017 ORAOHRA, “Promotion is the advancement of a career employee from one position to another with an incr

According to Section 117, Rule XII of the 2017 Omnibus Rules on Appointments and Other Human Resource Actions: "Sec. 117. No appointive official shall hold any other office or employment in the government unless otherwise allowed by law or by the primary functions of his/her position."

I was notified that I was accepted for the position I was applying. The Administrative Officer told me that I should process my requirements ASAP because it has a deadline and will be submitted to CSC. Then I was told that I had to wait when to report

There is no specific number of days specified by rules or laws within which we can process an appointment up to the issuance thereof. But in the exigency of the service and other essential factors/elements, the agency issuing an appointment can set deadlines for the filling up of positions, submission of requirements, etc. The time of processing of appointments can also be affected by different factors.

I was advised that my first day of duty with my proposed appointment is July 3. Until now I have not received the original copy of my appointment. When I asked the HRMO of the agency, they responded that it is still for submission to CSC. I would li

An appointment shall be submitted to the Commission within 30 calendar days from the date of issuance, which shall be the date indicated below the signature of the appointing authority. Otherwise, it shall be made effective 30 days prior to the date of submission to CSC.

Are we supposed to indicate all publication dates of the appointment at the back of the appointment form, or just the most recent one? There are instances when the position was reposted/republished multiple times, do we have to indicate all those dates at

As provided for in the 2017 Omnibus Rules on Appointments and Other Human Resource Actions (ORAOHRA), the certification on the publication and posting of the vacant position including the date the deliberation was conducted by the Human Resource Merit Promotion and Selection Board (HRMPSB) should be duly signed by the authorized HRMO. Further, the 2017 ORAOHRA also provides that the HRMPSB deliberation in the NGAs, GOCCs with original charters, and SUCs (for their administrative and support staff) shall commence not earlier than ten (10) calendar days from the date of posting and publication of vacant positions; and in the local government units (LGUs) it shall not be made earlier than fifteen (15) calendar days from the date of posting and publication of vacant positions.
Pursuant to the above provisions, if a vacant position was re-published then it should only be the date of the re-publication that served as the basis in the counting of the minimum 10 day period (15 days for LGUs) before the deliberation of the HRMPSB, which should be indicated in the certification of publication portion of the corresponding appointment paper.

Does pendency of an administrative and/or criminal case bar re-employment in the government service?

No, since you have not been found guilty of any offense. However, you should answer 'Yes' to the question 'Have you been criminally charged in court?' in filling-up your Personal Data Sheet (PDS). Accomplishment of PDS is required when applying to a government position.

She was already advised of the appointment that will be assigned to her, but the appointment is still at the National Office and is at the Commissioner's Office for Signature. Can she still be appointed considering that she is pregnant and that one of

There is no such prohibition.

Are Contract of Service and Job Order workers allowed to have other sources of work, particularly part-time jobs in the private sector or other contract of services (CoS) or job orders (JO)?

Article IX, Section IX of the Constitution says that “no elective or appointive public officer or employee shall receive additional, double, or indirect compensation, unless specifically authorized by law.” Section 7(b) of Republic Act No. 6713 also prohibits government employees from private practice.
However, CSC Resolution No. 020790 clarifies that contract of services "are not covered by Civil Service laws, rules and regulations, but covered by Commission on Audit (COA) rules." That resolution and CSC Resolution No. 020790 both state that contract of services do not create an employer-employee relationship and are not considered government service. It can be interpreted as saying that they are not government employees (being self-employed instead, which is their classification under BIR tax rules) and should therefore be free to pursue other work.

Is it lawful for a government employee to hold two job positions at a time? For example, being the municipal HRO and Municipal Civil Registrar at the same time.

No. The holding of two government positions by an employee would be tantamount to double compensation specifically prohibited by Section 8, Article IX of the Constitution which provides that "no elective or appointive public officer or employee shall receive additional, double, or indirect compensation, unless specifically authorized by law.". Thus, the only exception to this prohibition is if its specifically authorized by law.

Can I be appointed for promotion if my PRC ID/license expired?

For appointments involving practice of profession, a person may be promoted provided that he/she had a valid professional license. In legal parlance, a license is valid if the same is appropriate for the position and at the same is not yet expired.

There’s this employee that was given a temporary position but was not approved by the Main office of Civil Service, because as per our HRM Office, the employee should renounce his/her other citizenship to be hired. Can he/she be given appointment without

Am I eligible for the Service Awards?

*Eligible if the employee has been with UP for 20 years based on the employee's Service Record (HRDO), eligible personnel will be awarded every 5 years succeeding their initial awarding. After 40 years in service, the eligible personnel will receive the award every year until separation of service.
*Cut-off of endorsement of list of awardees is every December 31 of the year, while awarding of the eligible personnel listed from December 31 will have their program commence on the following year. (e.g. if you're 25 years in service at CY 2021, the awarding of certificate and token/s will commence at CY 2022.)
*Compulsory and Optional retirees will also have their certificate of appreciation

What is Enhanced Hospitalization Program (eHOPE)?

Provides financial assistance for hospitalization expenses incurred during confinement up to an accumulated maximum amount of ₱100,000 per year and also assistance for medicine related to the covered confinement and prescribed upon discharge of the employee in the maximum aggregate amount of ₱10,000 per year.

Who are eligible for eHOPE?

Eligable employees for financial assitance under eHOPE shall be the following: [1322nd BOR meeting, 24 November 2016; OP Memorandum no. 17-05, 17 January 2017]

1. Regular permanent full-time and part-time faculty members;
2. Regular full-time faculty members who are not tenured provided they have rendered at least one (1) year of continuous service in the University;
3. Permanent REPS and administrative staff;
4. UP contractuals and casuals (including faculty, REPS and administrative staff) who have rendered at least one (1) year of continuous service to the University, have employer-employee relations with the University, and whose salaries are paid out of the Personnel Services (PS) allocations to UP in the General Appropriations Act (GAA),

Note: to be eligible, all claimants must be in active service in UP at the time of the claim. Part-time faculty members shall be entitles to reduced benefits in proportion to the extent of their service to the University.

What are the covered hospitalization expenses?

a. Medical/diagnostic procedures such as ultrasound, MRl, X-ray, CT scan, biopsy, mammography, echocardiography, angiogram, blood chemistry, and other laboratory examinations.
b. Prescribed drugs and medicines in accordance with the Generics Act of 1988.
c. Professional fees of Philhealth-accredited physicians and specialists up to amounts based on the Relative Value Unit (RVU) set by Philhealth for specific medical cases.
d. Expenses for room and board for the duration of the confinement.

Note: excluded from coverage are: a) hospitalization expenses fr confinement related to cosmetic surgery; b) self-inflicted injury and illness; and c) annual medical/physical examination which are covered by specific CU policies.

Implementation of eHOPE

"No cash out" through partnerships. Partnerships through agreements with the nearest government and private hospitals shall be initiated by each of the Constituents Universities (CUs) to include a "no cash-out" arrangement for the patient.

The financial assistance under eHOPE shall be granted net of the medical expenses covered by Philhealth and other private medical health card benefits. Philhealth and private medical health card benefits shall be exhausted first before claims are accepted under eHOPE.

What is the procedure for availing eHOPE?

1. Eligible employee requests for financial assistance not exceeding PhP 100,000.00 per year for hospitalization expense.
2. Eligible employee files an application form for reimbursement form at HRDO. HRDO checks the completeness and accuracy of data and attachments. HRDO shall certify if the employee is qualified for the claim and maintain a record of the employee’s hospitalization.
3. eHOPE Committee evaluates and signs the application for eHOPE and Referendum Sheet.
4. Budget Office provides budget clearance.
5. Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration recommends and signs on the Referendum Sheet and eHOPE form.
6. Office of the Chancellor signs and approves the eHOPE application.
7. HRDO secures copy of the approval and forwards documents to College/Unit for voucher preparation.

Note: Each claim for financial assistance must be supported by an official itemized breakdown of medical expenses for laboratory examination, surgery, or any other medical expenses for laboratory examination incurred during the employee’s hospitalization.

What are the requirements needed for filing of eHOPE?

1. eHOPE form
2. Medical Certificate from Attending Physician/s
3. Summary Statements of Accounts showing Philhealth and other health insurance deductions.
4. Original Official Receipts (OR) of Hospital Bill
5. Original OR for Medicines/Laboratory Tests
6. Surgical Technique (for surgical cases)
7. Discharge Order/Copy of Going Home Instrtuctions, if any
8. Itemized Breakdown of Expenses

Am I required for a Return Service Obligation when I am seconded?

No, Secondment has no return service obligation considering that fact that such Secondment is Without Pay from the Univeristy.

Request for Secondment and/or renewal of Secondment must be submitted to HRDO for processing, two (2) weeks before the start of Secondment with complete documents attached to it.

Examinations during Hiring procedure

Applicants will undergo Psychological testing (provided by HRDO) and Computer examination (provided by IMS).
Test content and data (including raw data, scores, tests used, etc.) are strictly confidential and a remark of PASS or FAILED will be provided by the HR personnel to communicate the result with the applicant.

Results of Examinations during Hiring procedure

Psychological tests will be checked and evaluated, having results available in 5 working days after the administration of the Psychological tests.
Computer examination result will be forwarded by IMS to the HRDO in 5 working days after the administration of the Computer examination.
Interpreted and final results for both Psychological tests and Computer examination of those who PASSED will be posted via website and will proceed to the next Hiring procedure.
And, for those who failed to meet the requirements, they will be notified via email or text by the HR personnel overseeing the Hiring procedure.

Where can I view the qualifications needed for my desired position?

When should we file the SALN

  • Within 30 days after the assumption of office
  • On or before April 30 of every year thereafter
  • Within 30 days after separation from the service.